This morning before I sat down to write, I was feeling stressed out because I got off to a late start and don’t have as much time to write as I normally do.
“What will I write about in such little time?!,” I wondered. “I have to get this done ASAP so I can make those website updates today!,” I thought.
Then, a sweet little ping of inspiration hit me: I can have fun with this.
I can have fun with this constraint, this lack of time.
It doesn’t have to be hard and anxiety-ridden, which is something I’m trying to remember more and more in every part of my life.
So, instead of trying to plan out a dense, wordy post for you, I decided I’d give myself five minutes to celebrate what I love about work. I set a timer and wrote down as many of my favorite aspects of work as I could.
I focused on what brings me joy and tried to have fun with this instead, and it turned out to be an illuminating exercise! I’ll tell you what I learned after I share the list.
25 things I love about work:
- Collaborations with cool people
- Shaping ideas
- Getting paid
- Connecting with other humans through the work
- Coffee dates
- Opening up shop (meaning: starting early)
- Starting late when I want to
- Learning new things about my clients’ lives
- Breakfast meetings
- The first email check of the day
- Stretch assignments
- Building presentations and curriculum
- Learning about different company cultures and wondering what makes organizations tick
- Having rhythm throughout the day: work, break, work, break, stretch, work…
- Opportunities to express gratitude, which are everywhere
- Sharing that knowing look with a colleague in the hallway, like “We got this.”
- Getting in the zone
- Dreaming about what could be…
- Dry erase boards
- Power Hour
- Having a workspace that’s mine and full of inspiration
- Color-coded calendars
- Looking out the window until my next best thought arrives
- Excel formula magic (up to a point)
- The fact that we always get to choose how we show up in our work
When I looked back over my list, I realized that I really want more of two things:
A dry erase board, and…
More connections/collaborations/partnerships with other people doing soulful work in the world.
I knew my desire to collaborate has been getting mulled over in the back of my mind, but it came out so clearly on my list that it surprised me a little.
Isn’t that what it’s all about for most of us, anyway? Finding connection and meaning in our work? Partnering with others to build something we care about and that serves others?
Work gets a bad rap a lot of the time because, well, it’s complicated. But we can celebrate work – it can be fun and life-giving and meaningful.
What do you love about “work”?
If you’re interested, time yourself for 5 minutes or less and jot down as many things you love about work as you can. What does your list say? And how can you get more of what’s on there into your day to day life?
I’d love to hear about your list or thoughts about this post in our Facebook group, A Wild New Work! Click here to join the discussion.